Sunday, May 20, 2012

Week #1 in CEDO 599

This week we took a look at possible projects that could be implemented in our classes.  I have a few ideas and if any one has some advice it would be appreciated.
Idea #1
Use Google docs and sites to create a series of templates for labs and handouts in my physics classes. Next year my school is looking at creating a "bring your own device" initiative that will enable students to bring technology into the classroom.  I would love to harness this tech in a non-device specific way in my classes. Google docs could provide an avenue to have my students have access to technology and be able to do the class work in an authentic way

Idea #2
My school has SMART Boards in most of the classrooms. With the new "Bring your own device" initiative next year it would be awesome to have the students have access to the same notes and assessments that I do in class.  By using the SMART Notebook online tool combined with a phased inclusion of the up coming SMART Notebook App I could convert my current classwork into SMART files that the students could use as their course work. This would lead to a great convergence of technology as the online option of SMART notebook would be non device specific

Idea #3
I will be department head next year and one of the big issues that has plagued my department is an inability to share equipment.  A few Google docs could be artfully created that give the entire department access to equipment, while making sure everyone knows what is available.  With such a system replacment of consumables would be much easier than it is currently in the budgeting process.

Idea #4
My school has access to a Moodle server. I would love to extend the school day for my Honors Physics students to include some self grading assessments, password protected readings and online help options.  The Moodle site would be created to better prepare students for the rigors of Advanced Placement Physics and to make myself more accessible after the school day ends.

3 comments:

  1. For idea #2, would it be useful to modify a Wii mote to work with the whiteboard so that you would be able to pass it along to students where they would be able to interact with the Smartboard without having to move to the board. This might be able to add yet another way for students to interact with your files if you make them accessible via a Smartboard. I just know that I am not lucky enough to use a Smartboard, even though there are lots of them in my building. I would need to be able to use my home built 8'x8' whiteboard that I currently use with dry erase markers. I mainly bring up the Wii mote idea due to the ability to use any board with the Smartboard software and the Wii mote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of idea 1 and idea 4. I am actually looking at doing both of these this year.

    I like idea 1 because of the collaborative nature that goes along with google docs. I don't like that I am the only one that reviews and critiques student work. I would really love the students to share their great ideas and theories when it comes to labs and scientific write ups. The google docs template is great. I am thinking about combining this with google sites so that the students create a portfolio. You can even use the flubaroo extension for grading within google forms. Google forms also allows you to sort answers alphabetically which can eliminate the plagiarism that occurs with lab write ups.

    http://www.flubaroo.com/

    I like Idea 4 because I am also looking to extend learning outside of the classroom. I am piloting a flipped classroom for next year and I am using moodle as my main delivery method for content. I am embedding a lot of the videos and I am having students embed their work as well so they can react to each others work. Moodle has so many features to work with. The conditional feature would be a great way to control when kids are allowed access to specific work. Unfortunately, the moodle interface is challenging. I know that I have had issues learning how to do a lot of things. There is a moodle training session in Wisconsin. I attached a link below.

    http://www.wimoodlemoot.org/

    I will make sure to check back and see what you decide.

    GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John---

    I think you have some great ideas here! The one that I am most found of is your last idea. I think that it would be a great idea to have a resource for your students that allows them to further their knowledge outside of the classroom. Also, it sounds like you could set it up so the students are doing most of the work; making it a type of "turn key" operation; hopefully alleviating much stress on your behalf.

    ReplyDelete