Sunday, January 15, 2012

Week #1 in CEDO 555

This week we began looking into what an electronic portfolio looks like in the teacher education.  When looking around I was struck with how few portfolios are readily available on the web. I had thought that this assignment would be a piece of cake and that I would be swimming in examples in the matter of minutes. As it turns out e-Portfolios are rather closed off from public viewing. After some reflection I realized the wisdom in this.

A lot of the people making e-Portfolios are pre-service teachers. By having e-Portfolios easily visible to the world, the portfolios are not made in a way that the accrediting institution has any filter on what is put into said portfolio. This is a recipe for disaster as students in my generation tend to "over share". I can think of 2 examples of being on a hiring team, wanting to hire some one and doing a quick "facebook" check to see if they were posting to the world about teacher - inappropriate things that students could get into. Needless to say neither of these individuals were hired. I think it is smart that institutions do not let a professional portfolio go out into the world without oversight.

Here are four different examples of portfolios that I have found that might be useful for getting familiar with the whole portfolio as a professional development tool.





In addition I have found a really good blog on issues of technology in education. Check it out if you have a couple of minutes:  http://schinker.wordpress.com/ 

2 comments:

  1. I too thought that I would be able to find a large amount of examples. I did find a couple of useful resources but not nearly as many as I first thought. I did find a useful template created by Dr. Barbara Schroeder. She is a professor in the Department of Educational Technology at Boise State University. Here is the link to the template:

    https://sites.google.com/site/techportfoliotemplate/

    This will definitely be beneficial but I think that we need to make it more personable and meaningful to the individual. I am excited to see your final product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent observation about the digital generation's habit of over-sharing. I have found this to be a common problem in my virtual school. The filters that people my age applied seem to have vanished. Young people need to understand the permanency of sharing personal information online - or what's commonly referred to as their digital footprint. If you were to have your students create digital portfolios, what would you tell them about including personal content?

    ReplyDelete