Sunday, January 23, 2011

TED Talks, Google Sites and Technology Learning Plans

This week we looked at brining all of the productivity tools that we have used in the class together into a Google Site.  Google Sites seem perfect for students to create their own web pages, but my school would be pretty uneasy about students maintaing a web presence for school that was not hosted and controlled by the school itself.  I'm going to investigate some of the security features and permissions and see if my students can't use this as an electronic portfolio for some of our physics projects / labs.  If you want to see my own Google site you can click here

We also looked at Sir Ken Robinson's TED talk about the importance of creativity in education. It was an interesting talk (as all TED talks are) that really railed on our current "academic producing" education.  I liked that the focus seemed to be in creating more avenues for education, but it was quite pie in the sky. The vision of education would require such a major overhaul that a single person could never direct the whole revision.  You can check out the TED talk here

The last thing for this week was to create a technology learning plan.  The plan involves producing goals and then creating measurable progress to gauge completion of the task.  I have about a hundred things that I'd like to accomplish so I need to focus down to about 3 measurable goals.  I'll post what I choose next week.

On a side note I just have to write about the online textbook I have been using for all of the class readings.  I've been using Course Smart.  It was only about $30 to rent the book for 180 days instead of about $60 to buy the print version.  It has a lot of note taking features and has been a positive experience.  It is a good sign for electronic textbooks.  You can check out the website here

4 comments:

  1. Using the online textbook is a great idea (especially since I shelled out the $60 for the paper version). I am interested in the note features you mention, and will definitely look into it for later classes. I agree that the TED talk was interesting, although I think it might be possible for one person to at least start to incorporate those ideas. Just as it was talked about in the text, we should all look for ways to inspire the creativity in our classes. Hopefully if enough people do that it will eventually work its way into curriculums with the same importance as literacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really impressed with the talk by Sir Ken Robinson. Yes, it might be a bit "pie in the sky", but don't you need to aim high? I know that many of my students won't meet the goals that I set for them. But I want them to use the strengths and abilities to the best that they can. I am not sure if you are able to (due to administrative or district policy), but would it be possible for you to be able to have your students use their creativity to problem solve? I know that in science, students need to learn that getting things wrong isn't the end, it's just a chance to do something right the next time.

    Personally, I found the following article in Sunday's Journal Sentinel very interesting. But then again, I am of the mindset, if it works, and it is legal, do it.

    JS online article: http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/114430984.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. A large part of my job is monitoring discussion boards and teaching students about appropriate "Netiquette" so I can relate to your concerns about school endorsed web content. Peer monitoring may be one way to mitigate the possibility of inappropriate use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to have a site where the students can add things. But I have the same reservations that you do. I know the school would also be nervous about it.
    I know there are schools that have the students sign a contract before they can add things to a site. That would be something to look into.

    ReplyDelete