Sunday, March 25, 2012

Week #2 in CEDO 565

This week in CEDO 565 we took a look at data and how it can be used in a leadership role. In the book we read two chapters on "Assembling your team" and "Communicating your Leadership". I have been a part of the hiring committee for 4 of the positions in our 10 person department and I can say with certainty that John Gabriel is 100% correct about there needing to be a "fit" for your team. We have had tons of super qualified applicants for my school that have not worked out with the district not because they were not capable, but because they were not the right fit for the multitudes of people that have already established themselves in the district. It is tough realizing that it is nothing personal, it is just the nature of human interaction.

The "virtual data retreat" that we embarked on I took a look at the WKCE data for my district in reading, science and math. My district is very fortunate since it is over performing for its socioeconomic indicators. I can tell you with certainty it is because of good teachers teaching motivated students that have parents who are active in their child's education. The trifecta of student achievement is at work in my district and I am happy to be a part of it. We spend almost $200 more per student than the surrounding districts, and my district has ridiculously high property taxes to support such spending since the tax base is firmly blue collar. Yet, parents in my district have defeated every "tax payer alliance" or "citizens for fiscal responsibility" measure that has come to a vote. The community's dedication to education is unwavering. I am truly lucky to be where I am.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that to be the best fit for a job you need to fit the team and the job. We got a new teacher on our team this year. Sadly I think he has had a hard time fitting in since some of the people are the team were not very receptive to his style. I think he is a great teacher and done a lot of amazing things this school year. However, it has been harder on him not being able to fully feel settled and accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was curious, has the ability to be part of the hiring committee made the team a more cohesive unit? In the chapters we read this week, Gabriel said that having the teacher leader in the interview would lead to the new team member having more respect for the hierarchy that is shown in the interview process. Have you witnessed that first hand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    it's amazing that you have that option at your district. I was in a district that had lots of money and that district had a differnt set of problems. Do you have aspects of your school that are problematic despite the money aspect?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, John. I've only been part of a couple of hiring panels for civilian marine inspector positions. I couldn't imagine not being able to be a part of choosing such an individual. Unlike the military folks that normally transfer in, we actually get to have a say in our civilian hirings. I wish that we had more influence over the placement of our military personnel! We pretty much have to take and work with what we are given. I am expecting two new (just signed up) petty officers over the next couple of months. We have to find out what makes them tick and how they are best motivated. So I guess that they are more like your students than your peers! Will you have additional hiring responsibilities with your Dept. Head position?

    ReplyDelete