Saturday, September 17, 2011

CED 535 Week #1

New School Year, New Course!

We just started CED 535 this week and we will be talking about blogs, wikis, podcasts and a bunch of other tools that will harness the web for classroom use.  I'm pretty excited about what the course will have since this is something I have been trying to incorporate for years, but never really had the background or operational knowledge to do.  I'd like to get to the point where I could have a "flipped classroom" for my AP courses so that I can help the students more with problem solving and have less time that I have to lecture to my classroom.

My only worry about podcasting is trying to control the commenting.  I have had students in the past make fake Facebook and MySpace pages about me and they always start off innocent enough, but the commenting features quickly get out of hand.  I'd love to have some way to control this a little more while still giving students ownership of their own web presence.

2 comments:

  1. John, you sound a lot like me. I'm currently trying to "flip" my Civics class. I know have the students in a room with computers and I have not given them a book this year. I am setting the class up more as a problem solving class rather than a lecture type class. So far, the students have enjoyed it and it actually makes life a lot easier on me as well. I give a scenario to the students, they act on it by using internet based tools, then we gather as a class and discuss what we found. It is really a fun way of doing class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In terms of commenting, this would be a good lesson even prior to blog creation. What topics do you think you would have to cover in such a lesson?

    ReplyDelete